Wednesday 14 September 2011

Galaxy Print DIY




After lusting after everything Christopher Kane galaxy print, I decided to take it into my own hands and make my own by looking up a “how to” on the internet (you can literally find out how to do anything nowadays) .
This one was the most simple yet effective ... it didn’t require buying anything fancy or new, it could be done with things I already had in my house... BRILLIANT!


Ok so for this DIY you will need: a garment (I picked a simple black T-shirt), Hairdryer, Bleach, Water, spray bottle and a paint brush.
First mix up a bleach solution of 1 part bleach, 3 parts water and fill your spray bottle with it.

Next I laid out the T-shirt (with nothing around to avoid damage from bleach splatters). I also placed a plastic bag inside the T-shirt so the bleach didn’t seep through to the back of the garment, but you can pick whether you want to do this or not... the choice is yours J

Let the spraying commence... I did a few light sprays then used the hair dryer to accelerate the bleaching process, so I could see my pattern emerging.  Drying in between your sprays allows you to see where to spray next to create an effective pattern.  

To really create the galaxy/cosmic effect I then twisted the fabric in the middle of the t-shirt to form a swirl/spiral. I then sprayed more heavily in the middle to produce the lighter centre. Then use the hairdryer it really helps!

As you can see after the t-shirt is flattened the constellation effect is more obvious.

I then continued spraying to achieve the look I wanted.


For a final touch I then used the paint brush to slowly drip and stronger bleach solution (1 part water,1 part bleach- you only need a tiny amount for this) to give the effect of individual brighter stars (these i dripped close to the centre -as seen on the final picture).

Hope you liked the DIY J 
and thanks to Amanda at One Of Each  for sharing this awesome tutorial 
Ashley x

35 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic DIY!
    Thanks for sharing lovely xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic idea, I'm definately gonna try it!

    K xXx

    fromkaywithlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing! So easy and such a great result.
    Mairi x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome DIY!! Deffo want to try it!

    http://lowri-thedeerhead.blogspot.com/

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow hun great DIY and you did am amazing job looks fab xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so amazing and creative, I love it!! I will have to try it out sometime soon. You could even sew beads into it to create stars and planets. I love it!!

    http://modadelamode.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wao!!!
    I will try immediately!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! i will be doing this asap! amazing!
    did the bleach turn that colour through drying or how?!!

    Daisy
    http://invisableone.blogspot.com/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats so cool, i'll defo be trying it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome, definitely going to try it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I searched for a tutorial like this! Thank you so much :) You did a great job, it looks perfect! I'm definitely going to try this.

    my blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. it looks amazing! great DIY♥

    http://itspixiedustbitch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great!
    Your blouse is very nica! Thank's for DY

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so cool, you can't tell the difference between the designer and the DIY! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great! :)
    http://harrietg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow i love it! looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is very clever, and the results very cool and effective.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the DIY, I love cosmic prints but I hate how expensive they all seem to be, defo trying this!

    I'm a new follower, hope you can follow me back filthylittlethings.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to try that ! looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. this diy is amazing! thank you

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this idea!! maybe I can make it work but I'm terrible at all this!

    fashionqueen294.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this more than the jeans :D
    DIY Blog
    http://aciddreamsandsugarhighs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Seriously cool! I can't wait to try this :)
    <3Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  24. The T-shirt came out so cool, thank you for the tutorial! I linked it in a series I'm writing for my blog (http://rock-n-roll-stops-the-traffic.blogspot.it/2012/06/diy-from-head-to-toe-11.html#more), hope you don’t mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Omg as soon as I read this, I had to try it ! It worked out so well, thank you so much for this tutorial <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. This awesome! I have to give this a whirl!

    www.rlhavard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing walk through! You explanation of the bleaching process is by far the best I've seen.
    Thank you so much for putting your time and effort into making this tutorial. I've been looking around for galaxy print ones for a long time now, and yours has helped me a lot!
    I've featured your DIY here: http://showmehowtodostuff.tumblr.com/post/29302346756/galactic-clothing-i-absolutely-love-the-look-of
    Once again, thanks! c:

    ReplyDelete
  28. I will try this! I love EVERYTHING galaxy print and this is just awesome! Gorgeous shirt, you did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I fell in love with this simple yet effective technique! I'm actually doing it myself and crediting you with it on my blog. Really really glad you posted this, thank you!

    http://gizmoandyoshi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. הדפסת חולצות תל אביב

    ReplyDelete
  31. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. הדפסה על חולצות בראשון לציון

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments